Lionel Messi has been mulling over his Barcelona future over the course of the season just gone.
There are reasons, both sporting and legal, that have influenced his desire to leave the Catalan club this summer.
We’ve looked at the 10 main reasons behind Messi’s decision to leave this summer.
10 REASONS LIONEL MESSI WANTS TO DESPERATELY LEAVE BARCELONA
1. The deadline to notify the club of his desire to leave was extended because of the delay to the end of the season. The previous June 10 deadline is no longer valid.
2. There is no release clause of 700 million euros in the final year of his deal.
3. Josep Maria Bartomeu has said in multiple interviews that Messi can leave when he wants.
4. Barcelona’s project isn’t ambitious and Messi isn’t convinced by the team’s future. The team’s hopes of winning have been pinned on him for some time.
5. The timing and the manner of the sacking of Ernesto Valverde didn’t go down well with Messi.
6. Messi’s problems with the board. He’s disagreed with various things the club have done in recent months, such as the social media scandal and the ERTE.
7. The breakdown in relationship with other club figures, like Eric Abidal, who blamed some players for Valverde’s departure.
8. Messi doesn’t feel as though he’s being listened to. He doesn’t believe his opinion on various topics, including the use of the academy, matters to the club.
9. Messi thinks it’s the end of an era at Barcelona. He agrees with Gerard Pique’s willingness for senior players to step aside and allow fresh blood into the team.
10. Messi and his family were targets of Barcelona’s social media scandal and he was traumatized by the prospect of something like that being led by the club.